Have you ever closely looked at the 10 digit number that we use for checking our reservation status? Yes, I’m talking about the PNR number we find on railway tickets. Do you know that number contains more information than just your reservation status and indicates much more than it appears?
Well, if not, here is all you need to know about it and how you can enquire about your IRCTC PNR status online from your mobile.
What is PNR?
The abbreviation PNR stands for Passenger Name Record of the Indian Railways and is a unique sequence that consists of 10 digits. This unique sequence contains some of the personal information of the passengers traveling, such as their itinerary, train number and name, journey date and time, the coach number, and reservation status of the ticket.
What do the digits of a PNR number indicate?
Among the 10 digits of a PNR number, the first 3 digits are to particularize the Passenger Reservation from which a ticket is booked. And among these 3 digits, the very first digit specifies the station from where the train of the issued ticket starts. Now coming to the last 7 digits, these digits of a PNR number are just generated at random to make the whole sequence unique.
What are the different PNR statuses?
A PNR status is mostly either CNF (Confirmed), RAC (Reservation Against Cancellation) or WL (Waiting list). However, it can also be TQWL (Tatkal Waiting List), GNWL (General Waiting List), PQWL (Pool Quota Waiting List), RLWL (Remote Location Waiting List), Confirmed+RAC, or even RAC+WL.
Why is checking PNR status so important?
Since a PNR status is what tells you if your reservation is confirmed or waiting, it is of utmost importance to check it before boarding a train. Especially if the status of your ticket while booking was either WL (Waiting List) or RAC (Reservation Against Cancellation).
How to enquire about PNR status online on mobile?
You can easily enquire about your PNR status on your mobile both offline and online. While you can do it offline on your mobile using call and SMS services, the online ways of checking your Passenger Name Record status on your mobile are as follows:
❏ On Websites
If you want to check your PNR status online on your mobile you can easily do it from the different websites online that offer you the necessary services. You can try the official website of the subsidiary of the Indian Railways that handles the online ticket operations, catering and tourism, IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation). But besides IRCTC, some of the other websites where you can check your Passenger Name Record status are PayTM, Goibibo, MakeMyTrip, PNRstatus.io, and TrainPNRStatus.
You can check your PNR status on a website using the following simple steps:
- Go to any internet browser that you have on your mobile phone.
- Then you can either enter the website you want to check it on or search for the different websites that allow you to check your Passenger Name Record status.
- Once you open a website, you will surely find a section where you have to enter your unique 10 digit Passenger Name Record number. You need to type the number there and select the search option, which is most likely to be found just below your typed PNR.
The results take less than a minute. However, it might take longer if your cell network is not that good.
❏ Using Mobile Applications
If you want to check your PNR status on your mobile, instead of checking it on websites, you can also do it using mobile applications. Besides the official app of Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), there are several mobile applications that offer you the necessary services. Some of the most common applications used to check Passenger Name Record status are RailYatri, eRail, MakeMyTrip, and NDTV Rail Beeps.
You can check your PNR status using a mobile application using the following simple steps:
- Download and install any of the mobile applications that allow you to check PNR status.
- After the application is installed, open it, and among all the options that are available, look for the PNR status option and select it.
- Once you are on the Passenger Name Record status page, you will find a space where you have to enter your unique 10 digits PNR number. All you have to do is type in your PNR number in that space and select the search option.
If your cell network is good, you will have your Passenger Name Record status in under a minute. If it’s not, the results might take a bit longer.
Hope knowing all this makes your search for Passenger Name Record status easier and you will able to print train ticket using PNR number.